Thursday, July 4, 2013

Firecracker 5000

Happy 4th of July!  I hope you all had great celebrations today, and if you had a race, that it went well.

Hubby and I had a race today.  It was a 7am start, so the kids opted to sleep in.  The rain started in the middle of the night, and there was no chance of this being a dry race.  Honestly though, I didn't really care, because it could have been crazy hot.  Last year I ran a 4-miler on the evening before 4th of July, and it was 95 degrees at 7pm, so 70 and rainy was fine by me.

Of course, because of the rain, I decided to wear a hat instead of the patriotic headband I had planned.  

(We are at a campground this weekend, so I snapped a quick pic of it before we left.)

The race was only about 5 minutes from the campground at Opry Mills Mall.  We arrived and picked up our bibs, timing chips, and shirts.  The shirts were a really nice tech shirt.  



We ran them back to the car, and then went into the mall to use the bathroom before the race started. 

I snapped a quick picture of hubby at the car, since I decided to keep my phone in the car with it raining so hard.  He was so excited about the ProCompression socks I bought him for the race.  He wore his Music City Trail Ultra 50K shirt from his race last month.

Hubby convinced me that the "Run Forrest Run" shirt he bought me at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company when he was in Destin last summer was my most patriotic shirt.  I didn't know that it would be quite the conversation starter!


We hung out under a tent, and about five minutes before the start, the National Anthem was sung.  What a great way to begin the 4th of July!  Then we headed out to the parking lot for the start.  Hubby and I said goodbye, because he's fast enough to start up near the front, and I'm clearly not.  In fact, I was near the middle of the pack when I heard some people talking about their hopes for the race - when I heard 22 minutes, I decided to move back - a lot!  I probably moved back too far, because I passed a lot of people.

I had turned my Garmin on right after the National Anthem, but that darn thing is very impatient, and when I looked down to start it as I crossed the starting line, it had turned off.  I restarted it and luckily it found a satellite quickly and I hit start.

Like I said, the first mile I passed a lot of people, both walkers and run/walkers.  I had a slight hope of PR'ing, but honestly, I didn't think it was possible because I imagined it was going to be hot, so I hadn't gotten my hopes up.  I didn't want to go out too fast, but with the rain, I thought I might have a chance.  Mile 1:  11:45

Everyone in my neck of the woods was pretty spread out by mile 2, but I was still passing people.  There was a volunteer who had pulled her car over and was blasting fun music and encouraging all the runners as they went by.  As I ran by the Cupid Shuffle was playing, and it put a little pep in my step.  At the water stop and turnaround, I saw that my new friend Forrest was volunteering.  He saw me before the race and asked me if I had run the Run Forrest Run race in Daytona Beach.  I explained that it was just a restaurant shirt, but he explained to me that his name was Forrest, and he was curious about the race.  Very nice gentleman, and he was super careful at the turnaround to warn people to be careful and not slip on the wet pavement (apparently a runner right near hubby had gone down right in this spot).  Mile 2:  11:17

At this point, I was really hoping for negative splits, and I thought I could possibly PR, though I knew I would really have to give it all I had for that to happen.  I started making it my goal to pass people, and that worked really well.  The woman who was playing the music had moved her car and was still playing music.  I think Michael Jackson's "Bad" was playing when I ran by, but I was concentrating really hard, so I could be mis-remembering that!  Hubby found me on the course with about a 1/2 mile to go, and jumped in to run/talk with me.  He asked how my time was and I quickly told him that I was really focusing and couldn't talk.  He got the hint and let me finish on my own.  Mile 3:  10:51

As I turned the corner toward the finish line, I totally flaked out and thought that I was three minutes over my PR.  (My PR is 34:20, but in my mind, I had it flipped for just a few seconds and thought it was 32:40, and the clock had just turned to 35 mintues.)  That REALLY freaked me out, but I finished strong.  I forgot to turn off my Garmin as I stopped to return my chip, so the time isn't totally accurate, but my chip time for the race was 35:26.  Disappointed, but not heartbroken.  I PR'd twice in May, and I'm so focused on my upcoming half that I haven't been too concerned with working on my speed.  

I found hubby and he too was a minute over his PR, but he's got a really sore foot and hasn't been running this week to try to rest it. We talked for a few minutes with a woman he had met at the Ultra last month, and she was upset that her time was off too.  

The race had great support - lots of mall security and volunteers on the course.  The Chuy's was open and had a taco/nacho bar for all the race finishers.  People were hanging out and eating, waiting for awards.  They also had a 1 mile fun run for the kids.  The race was to benefit Achilles International, and there was a girl named Lizzy with a walker, dressed in a patriotic bikini, determined to finish the race.  Talk about inspirational!  They delayed the awards a little so more people would stick around to cheer her on as she finished.  

While we were hanging out, a little girl saw my shirt and started pointing and yelling for her mom.  Her mom came over and explained to me that their dog was named Forrest, and her daughter was really excited to see my shirt.  The mom also said she didn't know there was a Run Forrest Run race, and I explained to her that I hadn't either until today, and that my shirt was actually from a restaurant.

Eventually they started the awards with the most patriotic, and then began the overall and age group awards.  Hubby placed 3rd in his.  It was amazing how speedy everyone was!  Right before the last awards, they saw that Lizzy was almost to the finish line, so we all went over to cheer her on as she finished.  She finished in around 2 hours and 15 minutes, and I was so inspired as I watched her.  It truly brought tears to my eyes.  I was totally happy to have the ability to run, and didn't care at all about the lack of PR.

They finished the last AG award and had three door prizes to give away - gift cards to The Aquarium Restaurant.  Hubby won the last one!  

By this time, we had been shivering for quite a while, and when we got to the car, we turned on the heat and the seat warmers!  Never thought I'd have to do that in July!

It was a great race that we'd definitely do again.  Well organized and great support!  One of the two kids was awake when we got back to the campground, and he snapped a picture for us.




Another 5K on the schedule for Saturday!  

Did you have a 4th of July Race?  How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment