Two years ago, I was a week or so into Couch to 5K and used the race as one of my training runs (I did the intervals I was supposed to run on the program that day, and walked the rest.) It was the first race I did after starting C25K. I finished in 53:28.
Last year I ran the five mile race, my first and only, and finished in 1:00:35. I really tried to finish in under an hour, but it just wasn't in me that day.
This year, when I went to sign us up, I noticed that they mentioned that there were only going to be age group awards for the 5 mile this year. I'm never a contender for these, though hubby is, and I was hoping to squeeze out one last attempt at another 5K PR this season, so I chose to do the 5K along with the kids, while hubby chose the 5 miler. Last year he came in 4th in his AG in the 5 miler, and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place were only separated by a few seconds.
The race had "packet pickup" (really just bib and shirt pickup) the two days preceding the race. We dropped by late on Wednesday, and I ran in to get our stuff. I was very surprised (and discouraged) when he handed me hubby's bib (with a chip) and then gave me three other bibs and told me it didn't matter which of the three of us wore which bib, because the 5K wasn't being timed. So much for my PR attempt! I figured I would use my Garmin and hope for the best, but was still disappointed that I had paid the same for the 5K as I would have paid for the 5 miler, and my race wasn't being timed.
The shirt was thankfully a little different this year (usually it's always a white shirt with the same logo and just the year changed). I definitely don't have a shirt this color!
We arrived about 15 minutes before the start and met up with some friends from school that always do this race as well. My daughter likes to run with them more than me, so I always feel better when they are there and I don't have to feel guilty about not running with her.
It was cold, but I had layered well, and only the exposed skin on my face and neck was really cold.
Temperature at the start - definitely the coldest weather I've ever run in!
The five milers started about 5 minutes before we did, so after a lot of standing around, we finally lined up for the start. Since I knew I would have no official results, I carefully started my Garmin as I crossed the starting line.
The course has several big hills, but I felt pretty strong running up them. Based on my Garmin, I knew I was on pace to finish in the 34 minute range, but I was hoping for a PR (my current PR is 34:07), and hopefully sub-34. I figured I could push it in the third mile and hope for the best.
The 5K and five mile courses were basically the same, but the 5K had an earlier turnaround on one part of the course. There were no signs for mileage on the 5K, just the 5 mile, and I saw a sign for 4 miles and was confused. My Garmin showed that I was well past the 2 mile mark. Hmmm...
As I kept running, I realized not only did they not care to time the 5K race, they didn't measure it correctly either. It was clear that the 5K was going to be long, when my Garmin beeped for the 3 mile mark and the finish line was nowhere in sight.
I think at this point, all my disappointment shone through. I could have kicked it into high gear and finished pretty fast, but my heart wasn't in it. I didn't see the point. I stopped my Garmin as soon as I crossed the finish line - 38:20 and 3.4 miles.
On the bright side, hubby had a great race, finishing the 5 miler in 34:45 and claiming the 1st place spot in his age group. So proud of him!
We headed home to warm up and enjoy Thanksgiving together. Next year I will definitely just run the five mile race and find another 5K to work on a PR.
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and a great long weekend!



No comments:
Post a Comment