Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving is here, and a dilemma...



My Thanksgiving started at approximately 3:40 pm yesterday afternoon when my five days off officially began.   I am so thankful for the time with my family!  Over the course of the next five days, we have three Thanksgiving dinners planned with various members of our extended family, our annual Thanksgiving morning race with hubby and the kids (this is our third year), and hopefully some relaxation time.

I've been working hard to keep my food choices on track so that I don't gain weight over the holidays. I downloaded the "Lose It" app and have been using it to track my food.  I had been using "My Fitness Pal" for a long time, but sometimes, a new, fresh approach helps keep me motivated.

Yesterday at our school Thanksgiving feast, a mom who is also a runner chatted with me for a few minutes about upcoming races, and I shared with her that we were running a half marathon in December, and it would be my son's first half.  She asked me if I would be at the finish line for him, and in that moment I was stunned and felt like the most selfish person ever.



I am signed up to run the half, along with hubby and son, while my daughter will be doing the 5K with my parents and brother (it's their first 5K ever).  When we signed up, it never even crossed my mind that I would miss my son crossing the finish line, but obviously, he will run the race faster than me.  We were at the finish line of hubby's first half, and hubby, son and daughter were at my first half finish.  

I talked to my son about it yesterday, and he said it never occurred to him either and it didn't really bother him.  I told him that if he thought about it and decided that he wanted me to be there at the finish line for him, I would absolutely drop down and do the 5K.  (This race is one of the three I'm planning to use for my hopefully successful attempt to qualify as a "Half Fanatic," but my son is so much more important to me than that, and I can always find another race.)  He said he'd let me know if he wanted me to be there, but didn't seem too phased by it.

I came home and talked to hubby about it, and he thought I was making a bigger deal about it than I should.  He said that he would be there, as would our daughter, my parents, and my brother, so he would still have quite the cheering section.  I know the finish line is not the only important part - when hubby ran his first marathon, we met up with him at several points in the race, including around 23 miles, and weren't able to be at the finish line because we couldn't get all the way into the stadium by mile 26, but we met up with him right after, and he was okay with that.

I want to run the half, but I don't want my son to think that I don't care about his accomplishment.

Am I over thinking this?  What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. Have you made a decision yet? (I'm behind in my reading!) I think you should still run the half. Like you said, he will still have a huge cheering section, it's not like he'll have no one there when he finishes. And since he seems ok with it, I would still do the half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I'm doing the half. He said it didn't bother him, so unless he changes his mind, I'll run the half and ask my husband to take a video of him finishing. Thanks for the reassurance! I didn't know if I was being horribly selfish!

      Delete