Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day One...

Hi!  My name is Jen and I have been running for about a year and a half now, and love reading other running blogs, so I've decided to document my journey by blogging too.  I've got a lot of work to do to make this blog everything I'd like it to be, but right now, I just wanted to have at least one post.

This morning I ran the Strawberry Stride 5K.  It is a local run benefiting the high school and is held annually during the city's Strawberry Festival.  I ran this 5K last year.  It was only the second 5K I ran without walking, and last year it was HOT!  My time was 41:36.  (I know, I know, I'm dreadfully slow!)  But I was very proud of myself for not giving in to walking, even though it was so hot.

Fast forward one year...I've done many more 5K's, a couple 4-milers, a 5-miler, 2 10K's, and 2 half marathons, and I've definitely improved.  The weather was a lot cooler and partly cloudy.  Last weekend I ran a 5K in the cold rain and PR'd with a time of 34:40.  I didn't know if I could PR so soon again, but I thought I would try.  I was on track after the first two miles, but started tiring out a little in mile 3.  But I knew it would be close, and I didn't want to give up.

In the last quarter mile, I decided to kick it into high gear and give it all I had.  And I am happy to report that it paid off and I finished in 34:20.  Not a huge improvement over last week, but a PR is a PR, right?
In fact, the whole family (husband, 15 year-old-son, and 12 year-old-daughter) all PR'd as well.  And, my husband won 1st place in his age group.  A fabulous family running day!!

Here's a pic my husband snapped at the beginning of the race.


I was excited to be able to wear my Moms Run This Town Boston shirt!

There was no bib for this race - they handed you a numbered card when you finished to write your name on.  Below is a picture of the race shirt.  It was huge, so I just took a pic of the logo.  I think it's time to start requesting smaller t-shirts!



No comments:

Post a Comment