Sunday, May 19, 2013

Difficult runs this weekend...

It's been a LONG week with lots of things going on at work, and lots of late work nights.  I've been exhausted, and I think that has been contributing to a lot of not-so-good runs this week.  

I'm still keeping up with my May streak (at least a mile a day), but I'm questioning that it is actually helping my running.  I'm going to stick with it this week, and hope that the fact that I will not be working until 10:30 pm every night this week will make running at 5:00 am easier.

I ran my third 5K in May yesterday morning - Bubba's 5K Dash - a local race benefitting the Make-a-Wish Foundation.  


So the family was up and out the door early Saturday morning.  It rained on Friday and overnight, so it was a steamy, humid mess on Saturday.  No rain during the race, but it sure looked like it could start any minute.

I was very disappointed when I went to pick up our bibs and shirts that they were out of size small, which encompassed 3 of our 4 shirts.  My tradition is to wear the shirt after I've completed a race, so I was a little bummed to have to break tradition.  I understand that being a race director is a complicated job and I appreciate the hard work that goes into it, but when you pre-register for a race well in advance and request a certain size shirt, it should be there waiting for you when you check in.  I'm not sure what the problem was.  We were not offered another size, and the lady at the table starred our names on her check-in list and said they would get more shirts made and send them to us, but I'm not holding my breath.  At least the money is going to a good cause.

The race itself was good.  About 150 runners on a hilly neighborhood course I have run before.  The humidity was very high, and I felt so exhausted, I went into the race not expecting to PR.  And I didn't. But I had PR'd the last two weekends in a row, so I'm okay with that.  We have our last 5K of the month on Memorial day, and it's supposed to be a new fast, flat course, so we will see.

I had an 8 mile long run on tap for today, but two factors derailed that plan.  1.  Thunderstorms.  2. Massive headache.  After the storms cleared (unfortunately, my headache dulled but did not clear up like the storms) I went out for three very slow miles.  

My plan for the week is to keep running every morning and see how it goes.  I would like to finish my streak but if this week continues to be like the last, I'm thinking my body might be begging for a rest day.  We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment