Saturday, June 22, 2013

Running long, and revisiting my first half

My next half, my third ever, is coming up in a month.  RnR Chicago.  I've been building up my base mileage, but haven't had an really epic long runs where I felt really strong.  This weekend I had an 11 miler on the schedule, and we are out of town, so I decided to do this run today, rather than Sunday morning when I usually do my long runs since we will be packing up to head home.

I was nervous because, like I said, my long runs have not been really strong.  I was starting to feel like maybe I am just not a good enough runner to do half marathons, which would really suck, since I have three more planned for this year.  I also feel as though I'm always questioning if I'm really a "runner."  My husband truly is - this month he completed his first 50K and he's always winning his age group at races.  But I'm slow, and I don't know that I'll ever be like him and ever win an AG award.

So I was feeling a bit down on myself.

But today I went out for my run with a new attitude.  HAVE FUN!

Ironically, I got to run on the same road that my first half was on back in December, through Pigeon Forge, TN.  




Back then I was SO serious and it wasn't until the last few miles of the race that I let myself relax and enjoy the moment.  I decided today I would relive that run, and stopped and took a few pictures of some of the memorable things on my run:

First...an upside down building!  Really, it's the Wonderworks kids museum.

Second, the Titantic!  Really, it's the Titanic Museum.  But it looks really cool as you come over the hill and you see it in the distance.

And finally, King Kong!

I focused on enjoying the time on the road and not worrying about my time or my upcoming half, and it went really well.  I felt really great when I finished, and I had a moment of not caring that I don't fit into the "runner mold."  

I have to remember that I don't run to please others, but for myself, and I need to be proud of all that I have accomplished in the past year and a half.

So, to running and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment