Sunday, July 7, 2013

Last long run before RnR Chicago Half

Today was my last long run before I run my third half marathon in Chicago two weeks from today.  I woke up not feeling great, but determined to get the miles in.  We're still camping, and I decided to stay in the campground for today's run, even though it meant running up and down the same rows over and over.  I felt better knowing I was never very far from one of the campground's bathrooms.

I knew I wouldn't be speedy today either, but I just wanted to get the miles in.  I've been battling with myself over whether or not to run intervals (Galloway style) in Chicago.  For my first half last December, I ran the whole thing, except in the last 4-5 miles when I started taking walk breaks when I felt worn out.  Then for my second half in March, I was sick for the week or so prior to the race, as well as the day of, and I decided to run 2 1/2 minutes and walk 1 minute for the whole race.  I finished 7 minutes faster than in December, but felt self-conscious about not being a "real" runner, as if by planning to walk, I had taken a cop out.

So I was hoping to run Chicago, only walking at water stations possibly.  (I was also hoping to be at my weight goal, but that didn't happen either.)  For today's run, I ran the first 9 miles, and then my knees for some reason were really hurting, so I turned on my Runkeeper app on my phone and ran/walked the last 4 miles.  I felt much better during that last 4 miles, and I was actually faster than mile 8 and 9.

My goals for Chicago are:

1.  Have fun!  This is my first big half marathon, and I'm so excited about the support and bands out on the course.  I want to enjoy every minute of it.

2.  Finish strong!  I do not want to crawl across the finish line miserable.  I want to have a great finish line pic of me running across that line with a spring in my step, and a smile on my face.

3.  PR!  I would love to PR.  Unfortunately, a lot is going to depend on the weather, I think.  My first two halves were in weather that was a lot milder.  It could be fine, but it could also be miserable.  I know the heat would affect my time.

4.  Sub 2:30 - This is my pie in the sky dream goal that I know is very, very unlikely, but hey, a girl can dream, right?  

Goals #1 and #2 are pretty much non-negotiable for me.  I will be very sad if I can't do those two.  If I don't PR, I will be disappointed, I can't lie.  But I am going to try to remember to not let that disappointment ruin my happiness from #1 and #2.

Regardless of how I run in two weeks, I need to keep reminding myself:


Enjoy your next run!!

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your long run! I can run nonstop for 7-8 miles, then after that I do the run/walk thing too. I don't think there is anything wrong with walking when you need to! But I know what you mean about feeling like a non runner because I have to walk some. But it's not true!
    Good luck on your half! Those are awesome goals!

    ReplyDelete