Thursday, August 29, 2013

Having a bad week

Just a quick check in because I'm feeling sorry for myself, and I'm trying to distract myself at this hour of the morning when I should be running.  I think, for the first time in my life, that allergies are messing with my head (quite literally!).  

I always have to deal with a runny nose when pollen counts are high and I'm running, but since last week, it's been a lot worse.  Last Saturday I had to cut a run short because my head hurt so much that I started to get dizzy and lightheaded.  I woke up Tuesday morning to another terrible headache, so I decided not to run that morning because I felt so bad.  Yesterday I felt awful, but went for a morning run anyway.  By noon the headache was back with a vengeance.  I took Benadryl and Advil, but it just made me sleepy.  I decided after dinner to lie down and see if resting would help, and I didn't wake back up until 1am, with the headache still pounding.  I got up and took some Advil, and finally fell back to sleep an hour or so later.

Now I'm up at my normal time, and the headache is still here, so I've decided not to try and run, though I'm really not happy about it.

I've also only had one day in the last four that I've stayed on track foodwise.  I think my regular strategy to "feel better" when I'm sick or feeling bad is to eat.  I need to break this habit.  I was doing really well on weight watchers and that number on the scale was coming back down.  I don't want to ruin it with bad old habits.

Okay, thank you for listening to my little pity party.  (And if anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it!)

Yesterday there was one small glimmer of fun in the day - my Cruella skirt came in the mail.  I tried it on and it fits great, but I'm not sure how great it looks.  I'm 4'10" and pear shaped (can you say thunder thighs?) and I'm always very self conscious about my legs.  For my entire running career, I've always worn black capris or bermuda length shorts to take as much focus away from my huge, jiggly thighs.  So with the skirt, I'm nervous that I'm drawing attention to an area that really doesn't need it, but I really want to dress up for this Disney race, so even if I look like Cruella's really fat twin, I'm wearing it!

Tonight is Back to School Night at work (an Open House for all the parents) so it will be a long day and late night.  I'm really looking forward to the long weekend, and hoping that my head clears and I have some great runs in my future.

Hope you're all having a great week!  Thanks for listening!

2 comments:

  1. I hate when being sick interferes with my running!! I hope you feel better soon. I'm sure the skirt looks just fine on you. If you're uncomfortable with it, could you wear black capris under it? I think that's great that you're wearing it anyway, I'm sure it looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had planned on wearing black shorts or capris under the skirt anyway, so that's a given. My daughter (who is 13 and my fashion critic) said that it looked "okay" with the shorts, so at least I passed that test. LOL

    ReplyDelete