Saturday, September 21, 2013

Soggy Saturday

It's been another crazy week for me at work, and really this is the norm, rather than the exception.  I took it easy as far as running, due to my sore heal.  I think it's feeling better, so I plan to go for a test run today, once the rain moves out.  Hubby left a few hours ago for his 20 miler, but I woke up with a really bad headache, so I took some advil and am hoping it clears up, along with the rain, before I head out.

I think my headache is caused by mom stress too.  My almost 16 year old son had a hard week, including his first fender-bender, and I just want him to be okay.  He's quiet and doesn't share how he's feeling very much, but I worry about him.  Being a mom is hard sometimes!  I've heard it said that when you are a mother, it's like having your heart walking around outside your body for the rest of your life.  

He did have something good happen this week.  He is running on his high school cross country team for the first year, not because he's fast, but because he wanted to run and try to improve.  At every meet this season, his time has improved, and at his meet on Tuesday, he cut nearly two minutes off his previous time to finish in under 25 minutes.  Yesterday (before the car accident) he was so excited because he was voted the runner on the team who made the most improvement at the last meet, and he was so excited.  I'm so proud of him!

As far as weight goes, I'm still maintaining.  I had to find some pictures for a class project my daughter was doing this week, and we ended up looking through boxes of old pictures from the last 15-16 years.  It was interesting to see the ups and downs of my weight through the years.  Like I said last week, I would like to be thinner, but right now, I'm okay with being fitter, and not riding the up and down weight roller coaster.  

A week from today, I'll be running my fourth half marathon.  I'm a little nervous, but mostly, I just want to enjoy the experience.  I am thinking that I've been a bit scared of doing what I need to do to get faster.  I've got my fifth half at the end of December, and I think I really need to train better for that one.  I'm past the point of just finishing.  I've finished a half 3 times (hopefully soon to be 4!) and I want to start working to improve my time.  I've still got dreams of one day running a sub 2:30 half, and a sub 30 5K.

(leaving to go run and do other Saturday stuff...)

Okay, I'm back!  Ran three miles and my foot felt better, so I'm planning on 5-6 tomorrow.

Hubby and I also went down to the running store because we both need new shoes.  The store is over an hour from where we live, so we don't get there very often.  

I was fitted there for the first time a few months ago (before then I had been buying my running shoes at Kohl's).  I got the Ghost 5, and I really like them, and in fact bought a second pair on clearance from Zappos over the summer.  Well pair number one hit 300 miles last week, and I was wondering if that might be part of the problem with my foot issue.

At the store today, they were out of Ghost 6 in my size, so she said she could order them, or I could try the Saucony Ride, which is similar.  I tried them on and ran in them and they felt really similar, so I decided to go with them. 



She also suggested inserts, after watching me run.  The first time I got fitted, she also suggested them, but I didn't like how they felt, so I didn't get them.  I thought if two different people recommended them, maybe I should reconsider, and the ones she had me try felt better, so I got them too.  I have to ease into wearing them for about a week, she suggested, before I try running in them.  Anyone else out there have inserts?  Do you like them?



I also lucked up and got two Moving Comfort sports bras on clearance for $23 each.  I restocked on my favorite Nuun flavors (Lemonade and Cherry Limeade) and got some Sports Beans for next week's half.  Thank goodness we don't go there very often, or I would be bankrupt!

Hope you have a great weekend everyone!  Thanks for listening to my craziness!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats to your son! That's awesome that he's improving so much. I love your shoes! I hope the inserts help. My last pair of shoes were the Brooks Pure Flo and I wore inserts with them. My new shoes are Brooks Pure Flo 2's, and I don't wear inserts with them. Not sure why, and I really don't notice a difference either way.
    As for Nuun- I don't like it at all! I've tried several different flavors and they all make me gag! I think it's the carbonation or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I'm so proud of him! I hope the inserts help me - I hate spending money on something that doesn't really make any difference. I'll keep you posted. The first time I tried Nuun, I had to throw the bottle away after two sips, it was so gross. I tried it again a few months later (because I didn't want it to go to waste) and I made two changes - I only drink it with really cold water, and I only use 1/2 tablet at a time. That made a huge difference for me, and the carbonation is not nearly as noticeable.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I'll have to try it that way. Maybe just 1/2 a tablet wouldn't be so overwhelming!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an amazing trip to the running store! Hope the heal is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindy! My 5 miles on Sunday were great - my heel didn't hurt until my cooldown, and only a little bit.

      Delete