Thursday, February 27, 2014

Involvement vs. Committment

You've probably all heard the story of your morning breakfast of bacon and eggs.  The chicken is obviously involved in your breakfast, but the pig, he's committed to it.


I haven't done any form of exercise (unless you count my 3/4 mile attempt at a long run last Saturday) in nearly a week.  I've been sick - not dying - but not feeling my best.  I took some time off to rest.  Last night I could have run.  I could have told my family that dinner was going to be an hour later.   They would have been okay.  But I didn't.  I cooked dinner, ate, and then relaxed the rest of the evening.

And as I look back on the last few months of my running, I think I could easily say that while I've been involved in running, I have not been committed.

I suppose this is fine.  It's not a terrible sin or character flaw.  It is what it is.

I've made excuses.  I haven't pushed myself.  I've been lazy.

But if I want to improve, I have to get committed.  There can be no more "I can't" or "I'm not fast enough" or "I'm not at my goal weight yet."  I've got to get committed.

It should hurt.  It should be uncomfortable.  It should not always be fun.

That's what it takes.  

So this morning, I vow - I commit - to run this evening.  I will do whatever it takes to fit a run into my schedule.  

Here's to committment!

1 comment:

  1. Just to follow up, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill tonight.

    ReplyDelete