Add to that the bittersweet moments of motherhood...my baby is graduating 8th grade and moving on to high school. I work at her school, so for the last nine years, we have gone to school together, and there were definitely tears on our last morning drive yesterday. Next week she is taking her first trip away from home...her class is going to Washington DC for the week. Cue more mom tears!
Here is a picture of us at the "Light of Leadership" ceremony, where the 8th graders pass the "light of leadership" to the 7th graders. We were both in tears!
So this morning, though I knew I needed to run, I put it off, preferring instead to shorten two pairs of pants for her trip, do the laundry, order my son's textbooks for next year, and generally lots of mundane mom jobs that normally I would eagerly let slide to get a run in.
With no remaining chores to delay me, I stepped outside in the unseasonably cool air and ran my normal 3 mile route. It was still slower than it used to be, but I felt like I was my old self. I was happy. Early in the run, "It Takes Two" by Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock started playing, and I put it on repeat, because the fun beat kept me from focusing on my mom tears. It was a good run, and I am thankful for it.
Thinking about it after I stepped inside the house, I realized my "It takes two..." mantra was very true. I need both mind and body to work together to be successful as a runner. Sometimes it's my body that fails me, and sometimes it's my mind. I hope to get them both back on the same page from now on!
On a side note, I've been doing well with my #mfp #accountability challenge. I have logged my calories everyday since last Sunday. I did go over a bit yesterday because we stopped for ice cream, but I counted the calories and moved on, ready to have a good day today.
Tomorrow I have 10 miles on my plan. The weather is still supposed to be gloriously cool, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Enjoy your weekend!


So proud of you!!! For doing well with your calories and getting out there for that run when you didn't feel like it! Your daughter is beautiful! She looks just like you!!! Congrats on her graduation!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Mindy!
Delete