Thursday, April 17, 2014

Derby Mini Countdown

Back in December I bought hubby a marathon for his birthday - the Kentucky Derby Marathon, which is this Saturday.  By default, I got a present too, and signed myself up for the miniMarathon (13.1).  We have been looking forward to this race for months!  Yesterday on Facebook, they gave us a sneak peak of the shirts and bling...


But now I'm a little nervous...

Two weeks ago, I ran the SJV 5K on Saturday.  It was a great race and I had no issues.  On Sunday I went out for my long run and about 3 miles in, I started having pain on the inside top/side of my left foot, close to the ankle.  It was bad enough to stop me from running, but since it improved and eventually went away when I walked, I ended up putting in 10 miles (mostly walking) that day.  I thought it might be due to my aging shoes, so I ordered new shoes, and didn't run at all during the week last week.  

On Saturday, I tried out the new shoes with a 6.5 mile run.  The pain wasn't nearly as bad, but I did feel twinges.  Since I'm paranoid, I have been resting since then.  Yesterday I tried to go out for a short run, and again, I felt minor twinges, so I immediately stopped.  I came home and iced it.  When hubby got home, I asked him to look at my feet to see if there was any swelling, and immediately he said, "which foot is it, because your left one looks swollen a little."  

Fabulous...

I'm crossing my fingers that whatever it is, a few more days of rest and ice heal it up, and I can cross the finish line on Saturday.  

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! I will be there too! So very excited. The medal looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you too! I hope I get to the finish. The shirt actually fits pretty well, and I'd like to earn the right to wear it!

      Delete
  2. I'll pray that you don't have any pain and that you have a great race. See you at the finish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the prayers, Katie! I definitely need them. Hope to see you at the finish! It would be awesome to get my medal from you!

      Delete