Yes, I confess, I am in search of an amazing running skirt. What qualities am I looking for in such a skirt? Well...
1. I want it to fit well.
2. I want it to look good on me.
3. I want it to be comfortable during runs (i.e. no chafing, riding up, falling down, or any other uncomfortable qualities such as this).
You see, I am quite pear-shaped. There is no way I'm running in any cute running shorts, for fear that my thighs might self-combust. So I always wear black tights, capris, or "shorts" (which are really knee length on me) to protect myself from the dreaded "chub rub." So for pretty much every race picture, I am wearing the same black "shorts,"
(you get the idea...)
Or capris/tights...
Definitely NOT a cute look, but the least offensive look (maybe).
In an effort to cover my bottom half, I have tried a few running skirts:
I have purchased several Rock City Skirts, which do not come with shorts underneath (so the black "shorts"/capris/tights are always there. These are the first skirts I ever purchased.
I am a big fan of Rock City Skirts. They are affordable, well-made, and comfortable. If I am ever in need of more sparkle for a special race, I will no doubt be shopping here again. I guess you could call these my biggest running skirt success.
But glitter and sparkle is not needed for every run or every race. So I went out seeking another option.
I tried several Running Skirts. I currently have three, in three different sizes, mind you. And I'm not in love with any of them. The only one that I have even tried to run in is the middle size (5) of the three, but I feel as though it looks too tight, specifically in the belly/hip area.
Based on the sizing chart and my measurements, I thought that I would be in between the 4 and 5, so I bought one of each (they were on the sale page, so I justified the purchase). I've never taken the tags off the size 4, and I've only worn the size 5 on a few runs since I'm so self conscious about how it looks. I actually bought a size 6 after I got the first two, thinking that I just needed a bigger size, but it is way too big (like I could fit a watermelon inside it easily too big).
So back to the drawing board I went. At this point, the thrifty individual I am was getting worried about spending even more money on skirts that I might not ever be able to wear. But I took a chance on a less expensive skirt from a shop on etsy.com called tutuabell. The skirt comes without any shorts underneath, so I could wear my trusty black "shorts," and it was in the $25 range.
I wore this for RnR Seattle last summer.
The skirt is comfortable, but I felt like it was continually riding up during the race, so I kept tugging on the back to make sure I wasn't flashing anyone from behind. My oh-so-fashion-saavy daughter dislikes this look because my shorts are so much longer than the skirt. So I've only worn this one on a couple of runs after this race.
I had pretty much given up on ever finding a running skirt that worked for me, and was resolved to wearing the black "shorts,"/capris/tights from now to eternity, but after seeing some of these really unflattering race photos from the last few months, I really feel like I need a bit more coverage. And, the girl in me really wants to run in a cute outfit that looks good and doesn't include black (at least not solid black).
The cheapskate in me is hesitant to spend one more dollar on a skirt that will never get worn, but there is still that part of me that longs to not feel so self-conscious of how I look when I run. I have also considered waiting until I lose weight to consider the running skirt again, but first of all, I've been trying to lose this last 30 pounds for 2-1/2 years with no success, and second, don't I deserve to feel good about myself at any size?
So there you have it...my quest for the perfect running skirt. If you have suggestions on brands, sizing, or anything else running skirt related, I am all ears!











No comments:
Post a Comment